4/28/10

No fresh eggs at the White House Garden - From Washington Post


"This spring, the garden expanded from 1,100 square feet to 1,500 square feet and features a wide variety - broccoli, rhubarb, carrots, spinach, cauliflower, peas and collard greens. There are even some lettuces grown from seeds and sprouts that originated in Thomas Jefferson's garden.

Coming soon: corn, beans, cantaloupe, pumpkins, leeks and artichokes. Kass says they might even try their hand at pickling some cucumbers and beans for the first family.

Kass and aides to Mrs. Obama won't elaborate on why the garden isn't technically organic.
"What's really powerful about this garden is it shows kids where food comes from," he says. "It's captured attention around the world."

One thing that won't be added to the expanding patch of land? Eggs.
"We are not going to have chickens on the White House lawn," Kass confirmed.


I tried my best.
I am sorry I never heard back from writing my letter.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sorry to hear that...but it is excellent that you wrote a letter. It's interesting that their spokesperson answered that question specifically - it shows that many, many people also opined that the White House garden should include happy chickens, which means the awareness of the animal rights side of the food movement is growing. Good job for doing your part!

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

I'm sorry too because chickens don't smell, and they are wonderful. The eggs, oh my.~~Dee

Lisa said...

No chickens and it's not "technically" organic? That's too bad. I must say I'm glad there are young people like you that know better and are willing to share your knowledge. Good for you!

Geoff Egan said...

Hardly any need to apologize on your part-your letter was cogent and convincing (at least to me). Lack of imagination at the white house is hardly something to take blame on yourself for.

jaibone said...

I tried to get the White House to add chickens to their garden.... they forget that there used to be sheep grazing on the lawn!

Pinterest