1/12/12

When it is cold, tips for caring for your chickens


When it is super cold:
This weekend there are supposed to be 3 or 4 days where the temperature doesn't get above 10 degrees with the overnight temperatures well below zero. I don't know what the windchill will do to the temperature.


Here are a few things I do to help my hens.
1. Make sure there is always plenty of fresh water! I use a heated dog bowl which is quite big so if for any reason I can't get there right away they will have enough water.


2. I make sure they have really deep shavings. I actually use an entire bag of shavings per coop.


3. Today I put 1 heat lamp (on a timer) in each coop so overnight when it gets dangerously cold they have a place to perch and keep warm.


4. I added a little extra cracked corn and gamebird feed to their food mix. The gamebird feed is higher in protein and the cracked corn I understand takes some work to digest so keeps their body temp up.


5. I put vaseline on all combs to protect against frost bite.


6. I check them often. 


7. Helpful link 


photo by bytegirl2

4 comments:

IamthatIam publishing... said...

I always wondered about this - and how they survived. Your chickens are so lucky to have you - I'm happy for them!

Faye said...

I am embarrassed not to know this but when you say coop--does that an individual nest inside the chicken house?

Anonymous said...

My wife and i have been excited that Chris could do his survey because of the precious recommendations he acquired from your site. It is now and again perplexing to simply continually be making a gift of thoughts which many people may have been selling. We know we need the blog owner to give thanks to for that. The most important illustrations you made, the simple website menu, the relationships you will make it possible to engender - it's got many superb, and it is making our son in addition to the family do think that subject matter is interesting, which is certainly really serious. Thanks for all the pieces!
Samsung WIS09ABGN LinkStick Wireless LAN Adapter

Jatin Sethi said...

Investigating drug rehab focuses? Let's be honest, an ever increasing number of individuals are getting helpless to drugs, a measurement which has pointedly ascended as of late. Social weight has been an essential elements for young drug dependence, as youngsters are normally the least demanding casualties of such addictions. Add to that the ongoing monetary downturn, which has hit the greater part of the total populace, and you'll get a much more pressure filled life and high drug compulsion rates.
quotes for people fighting addictions
drug rehab quotes




Pinterest