Many people ask me what they can do to help keep their hens laying eggs during the winter. Here are a few things to consider:
1. Make sure your hens have plenty of fresh clean water all day long. Don't let it freeze over night then replace in the morning. I use heated dog bowls.
2. I use lights (on timers) in my coop so that my hens have 14-16 hours of light a day.
3. Add a bit more protein to their feed. I add a bit of gamebird crumble to the regular feed. Also consider adding cracked corn and ground flaxseed to their feed.
4. Try and add some greens to your hens feed. I go to our local farm and get the leftover lettuce and carrot tops. It is also great entertainment for hens.
5. Keep the coop draft free.
6. I also try to add something to the coop so that they are entertained. Scratch is a great thing! They love digging about for it.
More winterizing tips.