I've been asked what I do to winterize my flock and coop. Here are a few of the things I do:
1. Add Cracked Corn to their feed. They LOVE it! and it is helps keep their body temperature up.
2. I use heated dog bowls for their water, I find them much easier to use than the heated bases and metal watering towers.
3. I wrap my the outdoor part of my coop in heavy plastic so that they can still go outside. They need as much sunlight as possible during the day. By wrapping the coop it turns into a little cozy, sunny greenhouse.
4. I add more mealworms to what I give them each day. It makes them really happy.
5. I obviously go out to the coop every day, but during the freezing times I may go more often and I inspect each bird to make sure their combs and feet are ok. Sometimes I will put vaseline on their combs to protect them from frostbite (i even add some euclyptus oil to it)
6. Check for drafts and fill them.
7. I also use deep bedding for the indoor coop. I think of it like a big blanket for them!
8. Add a bit more protein to the feed. I use Game Bird Feed.
I think that is about it, if I remember anything else I will add it. Oh, don't worry your eggs shouldn't freeze.
Please let me know if you do something else that would be helpful to list.