8/31/13

"The Reason I Keep Bees" for Edible Boston



By Orren Fox / Photos by Michael Piazza


As I pick my way around the brush, being careful to avoid poison ivy, I hear an insect zoom by my ear. I glance up and realize it is one of my roughly 200,000 honeybees. She swerves left, then right, as her baskets, full of pollen, weigh her down. When I arrive at the hives, all four of them buzz loudly, full of life. Before I suit up, I merely observe the bees for a moment. Every second, hundreds of them land and take flight, ready for another day of foraging. After a few seconds, I grab my veil and zip the rest of my suit. I grab a couple of necessary tools and head over to the first hive. As I pry it open, the sweet smells of honey, pollen, and beeswax fill my nose. When I peel the lid back, I am met with a wave of curious hive-dwellers.
For the remainder of the day, these little guard bees constantly bump into my veil with harmless, silent little thuds. I put my face closer to the hive and peer down into the frames. The smells are so strong, they’re nearly overpowering. Since it is a hot, sunny day, the propolis inside the hive is gooey, and due to this extra heat, the bees have been cooling their hive with their wings and blowing the scents out of the hive and up into my veil. The hive is strong; thousands of bees are hard at work both inside and out. I realize that this moment, with thousands of them buzzing around, is the reason why I keep bees.


2 comments:

pg slot 168 คะแนน 100 said...

pg slot 168 เป็นเกมแบบที่เล่นได้บนโทรศัพท์มือถือสบายใช้งานง่าย มีเกมสล็อตให้เล่นอยู่มากมายเยอะมากได้แก่ พีจีสล็อต สามารถใช้เป็นการพนันลงทุนเล่น เว็บไซต์สล็อตของการเล่นเกม

Anonymous said...

This blog is really helpful for the public .easily understand,
Thanks for published,hoping to see more high quality article like this.
rotating masturbation cup male masturbation cup

Pinterest